Sunday 26 June 2016

140 Character stories - Part 1

#Butterflies
This was the first one I wrote. It was a result of a conversation I was having with a friend. When a muse comes, you take it.


“Will I feel butterflies in my stomach again?” "No", he said. "What I haven't destroyed with my presence, I will crush with my absence"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#Mirror
This was the second set of stories I wrote. You can submit 3 stories at a time with TTT and since I was trying to increase my writing stamina, it seemed like a good idea to do 3. Surprisingly, this wasn’t as difficult as I had imagined it to be. It was however darker than I had expected it to be

"Goodbye Ammi", she apologized to her mirror, as her wrist turned the basin red

Her hollow eyes looked for him in the mirror, trying to find herself. Goodbye unceremonious, he left her, a stranger to herself


Blowing a kiss in the mirror, she felt beautiful. She won’t let a ‘concerned’ neighbor tell all of curves that she wasn’t
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#Box
This was story set #3. Again, I had it quite easy with this one. Maybe it was the fact that I am living out of boxes right now or the fact that I feel so deeply about never being able to compartmentalize my life. Either ways, made for a fun writing project

House was full of boxes. Her life was in squares and his in circles. Love resided between mismatched corners.

As her husband called out her name, she snapped the lid shut tight. She could no more let memories of him out of the box.

Looking at her list she realized he didn’t check any of the boxes, except the one that said butterflies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#Colors
Writing set #4. This was tricky. My first story was about the Stanford Rape and the second one about domestic violence. I wasn’t sure if my writing was getting the message across but I did it anyway. My small contribution to a much larger debate. Third one was just me being cheesy

For the first time, behind the dumpster, she saw colors. His was red, drunk on power, while hers was beige, in fear

She painted their future with the 7 colors of the rainbow. She didn’t know the dominant color in her life would be the blue of her bruises

He watched her as she talked animatedly. For the first time he noticed the color of her eyes. They were blue with a speck of love
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#Hope
Writing set #5. Never have I struggled with writing as much as on this topic. The word had me stumped for a good two days and I think it is more than evident in my writing. Not happy with the end product but my brain currently refuses to process anything that I could attach to this word. Calling this one a bad day and accepting it as a writer’s block

“You knew you were vulnerable and he was bad news. Why would you give him all of you?” she asked angrily. “Hope” came the answer from within

“Tell me what you need?” “A smile, a hug, hope and a way to mend my heart”, she replied ruefully.

“Ma, what does hope feel like?” she the 6 year old looking at her father’s picture adorned with a garland. “A lot like your hug”

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful writings.I loved 1st, 2nd and 5th. I could picture all of these. Not only with words, but visually also they carry very strong messages.

    ReplyDelete