Sunday 27 December 2015

You like me, you just don't know it yet’, he said laughing. Oh he's going to be trouble, I remember thinking. I knew he was going to be so much trouble when he held my hand as I slept in the hospital after a surgery. It was the only way I could sleep and so he held my hand. It was only natural then when after a month we started dating. It wasn't without our own little dance! God knows I resisted. Said no, walked away a 1000 times. But nope not him. He was persistent. Charming, funny and honest, he definitely set my heart racing and I knew my resistance was not going to last too long. It started off just as any other. We flirted, dated, laughed, held hands and were so into each other the world faded around us. When the highs came, they really were addictive and when the lows came, we rode it out. His patience and my trust allowed us to have the best time even when things became tough. He went from a neighbor to a friend to my best friend. Ann Arbor became our playing ground. We had our places - Frank's, tk Wu, broken egg, things we did - movies, video games, inside jokes and favorite plans. When things got tough with me he became the person I cried to, ranted with and depended on. Think you get the gist now - we were happy.

1 year, 2 months and 2 days. That’s how long it had been. I know it doesn’t sound like a lot, but to me it was. For an entire year, I was used to coming home to a person, a space we both occupied, shared kitchen, shared living area, planning for two and executing for us. Ann Arbor will forever be a place I associate with us. So when the call came as I was finishing my Christmas dinner, I was surprised. He was in India and more importantly he is not a caller, hell we both aren’t. I thought maybe it was just to wish me Christmas. As soon as I picked it up I knew things were going to fall apart for me. I don’t think he understands how well I know him, his nervous ticks and his tells. I knew this call was going to be different. And it was. He was sure and no matter how I reasoned and asked to understand, there was no changing his mind. Reasons, which by now have become immaterial were stated and that was that. My haven had been destroyed. It ended faster than I could wrap my head around it. His voice became words, words I could see were being relayed ever so meticulously – silently and with no hope, lest that’s a can I try and open again.

So that’s what it felt like. Sudden. And impersonal. It wasn’t like ripping a band-aid, FYI to anyone who says that to me next time. No, it was more like a surgery that leaves a scar – one that reminds you every day that it’s there. It isn’t a battle scar, you’re not valiant. You’re just not right. Worst part about this – he was my person from day 1 and now with 4 months to go, I need to reclaim Ann Arbor as mine, not ours. 

P.S: This is only my side of the story. I am sure it doesn't do justice to how or what he thinks about this. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to gain distance or maturity enough to be able to take that into account. Maybe this post after a few days would've been more balanced. But the truth is, this is the only way I can deal with being overwhelmed, so it was done now.

3 comments:

  1. Hello darling.

    Not the easiest thing to go through, I am glad you have this forum to externalize and process the whirlpool of emotions you are experiencing. You are a very talented and gifted woman, as demonstrated by this thoughtful and soul-searching post.

    You are strong and resilient. You will overcome this situation and reclaim your rightful place in Ann Arbor and the US. Hugs! Jose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, sadness comes in phases and true, phases are also meant to pass. That is why they are called phase(s). The problem with everyone of us who knows, believes and act to live in the moment or know at least what it means, is that often when the moment of pain comes, we live that too. Each moment. As if its our moral duty to live and cherish each moment of sadness. Its hard to keep falling in love with the same person again and again throughout but that is the balance we all need to strive. Also meeting such person itself is a bliss and then keeping them is another task.
    Only if we know how much is too much and accept!
    One day under the sun everything will make a perfect sense and all you will be left with good and beautiful memories that will always leave a smile on your face. And trust me, you don't need to alter or reclaim Ann Arbor as yours. What you need is to accept what it is with open arms and big heart and let the memories be a part of your beautiful existence.
    Let go lovingly and come from love!

    "As per my understanding!"
    baaki baddapan to hamare khoon me hai! ;)

    ReplyDelete